Ethiopia is the home of the coffee we drink today. Coffee was not only discovered by the goat herder Kaldi in the Jimma-Limu region, but it also grows in the wild there. All Arabica coffee grown in the world originates in Ethiopia. For Ethiopians, preparing coffee is a ritual that has been performed and experienced in the same way for hundreds of years. Ethiopian coffee, with varieties such as Yirgacheffe, Sidamo, Limu and Harrar, is among the finest you’ll ever find. All the good coffee is exported to rich countries. The Ethiopians themselves have to make do with the lesser varieties.
Only 0.2% of the coffee berry that grows on a coffee bush is used. An extract is obtained from the roasted variety, which is used for the coffee we drink. The remaining 99.8% is a waste product. In the Netherlands alone, we throw away about 250 million kg of coffee grounds a year, all of which is simply considered waste. We want to use this flow of waste to make new products and stop the unbridled dumping of raw materials. Curbing this waste cycle is not only good for our society, but ultimately also for the producers in Ethiopia.
Wherever you are, coffee drinkers are happy people.
If as a dedicated coffee lover you realise that the cup you’re drinking from has actually been made from coffee grounds, you’re bound to get that Lucky Bird feeling!
The You Lucky Bird campaign is an initiative of Guido ten Hengel and Paul van der Hulst.
Guido worked in the La Place restaurants, part of the V&D department store chain, for many years. Until the bankruptcy of V&D in 2016, he was responsible for food purchasing. In that capacity, his company was the first large company in the Netherlands to start collecting coffee grounds in 2001. Using old mayonnaise buckets, the coffee grounds were transported to the first oyster mushroom grower in the Netherlands, to be used as fertiliser.
Paul has been active in the coffee industry since 1982. For the first 15 years, he worked for the Faema espresso machine importer and from 1997 at Koffiebranderij Peeze. Until 2017, when he stepped down as director/owner of Koffiebranderij Peeze. In 2002, he was one of the founders of the Dutch Barista Association, which he chaired for the first 5 years.
The goal Guido and Paul work towards is stopping the unbridled incineration of coffee grounds, and turning this waste flow into something useful. To this end, they developed a range of coffee cups made from coffee grounds. In addition, they want to use part of the price of the cup to invest in education projects in Ethiopia.
The You Lucky Bird coffee cup is a means to achieve both of these goals.
Visit us and get a cup
Are you curious about You Lucky Bird and #theluckycup? contact us today! We would love to sit down and discuss our coffee cup over a cup of coffee, to see if you can be a Lucky Bird too.